Saturday, November 22, 2014

Thanksgiving

This is my favorite holiday of the whole year. Not only do we all get to fill our bellies with delicious food and sleep after having that big platter of turkey and pumpkin and apple pie, but we get to spend time with our family!

I am a huge family girl and I always will be. And, as I've mentioned before, I'm in a completely different state then my family-6 HOURS away! I miss them so much and I have definitely stepped out of my comfort zone and I am ok with that. Being off on my own has made me discover my abilities and pushed me to do things that I am uncomfortable with. But I know that I can do what I want and what I need is already given to me. I am just so excited to finally be going home again and to be with the people I love most.

I think Thanksgiving is a time where people really understand what giving thanks means. Most holidays just seem to be about what I can get at the moment. With Halloween, it's to dress up, scare others, or get candy; with Christmas, it's about the amount of presents you get underneath the Christmas Tree, or what you can give to someone else while still being on a budget; with Valentines, it's about giving roses, or chocolate, or jewelry, or sexy sleepwear to your lover; with St Patrick's Day, it's about who can consume the most alcohol and still make it home with out being pulled over; with birthdays, it's, again, about the presents and being "queen/king" for the day; but with Thanksgiving, I really just see it as a time where people are able to go home, relax, have a beautiful meal, and be with family, giving thanks for what they have been provided with. It's about coming home to a warm fireplace, a feast being on the table-whether large or small-and being with your family, thankful that they and yourself are still alive to celebrate.

I have been counting down the days for this and I'm so excited! I'll be with my parents and siblings and grandparents and friends and people whom I love with all my heart. I'm just excited to have 5 days off of just being with them and catching up and staying together and just having fun. Telling them of my amazing journey out here on my own and what I have encountered. Hearing of the stories of their high school experiences and what has been going on at home. I'm so super excited!

I hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving and to remember that someone is thankful for you and all the happiness you bring to them. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment